“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” -Mother TeresaWe believe in the importance of understanding our community, and this requires us to be familiar with its people, its characteristics, and its history. In this section, you will find a comprehensive overview of Canada, the Greater Toronto Area and Toronto communities.
- Canada’s Population: 35.1 million (2013)
- Number of Households: 13.3 million (2011 census)
- Size of Canada: 9,984,670 sq. km, 3,855,103 sq. mi.
- Annual Births: 377,636 (2011)
- Life Expectancy: 81.1 Years (2009)
- Immigration to Canada: 248,748 new permanent residents (2011)
GREATER TORONTO AREA (GTA)
- The GTA is located in Southern Ontario.
- With 13 million, Ontario is the largest province in Canada. Quebec is second with approx. 8 million.
- GTA has almost 6 mill people and is part of “The Golden Horse Shoe Area with 10 million living within a 160 kil radius of Toronto. This is just under 30% of Canada’s population
- The GTA is divided into five regions: Halton, Peel, York, Toronto and Durham
- With approx. 2.5 Mill Toronto is the largest city in Canada
- Close to 50% of residents were born outside Canada
- Over 100 different languages are spoken by people living in Toronto
- Toronto has the largest Muslim community in Canada with approx. 250,000
- Toronto is divided into 44 Wards and 140 neighbourhoods